Friday 12 August 2011

Yippee a Child Free Morning.

I feel like a terrible mother but boy was I pleased to wave Mike and Mimi off yesterday morning.  Mike was going to London on business and Mimi was going to Granny's & Grampy's.  As they drove down the road I felt like leaping around for Joy with the thought of all the things I could do with a few hours peace and quiet.  I did seriously consider going back to bed for a few hours but decided that would be a waste of valuable time.

So what did I get up to with my time?  After a few loads of washing and some tidying up I decided to work on some of my embroidered cards.  I was quite pleased with the results and even made my first sale (admittedly to my sister, but a sale is a sale!)



Then I popped over to Granny & Grampy's for lunch and to collect little Miss.




When we got home Mimi didn't want a sleep so we decided to go blackberry picking in the field.  I really like my blackberry compote and thought we would pick some more to put in the freezer so that I can make some more later in the year.  



I also thought that I might try this recipe I found in a magazine for blackberry & pinot noir jam.

1 small apple peeled cored & chopped into small cubes
1kg of blackberries (I need to pick more!)
700g sugar with pectin in it.
350ml (12fl oz) pinot noir

Basically heat the apple in a saucepan with about 4tbsp of water then add it to a preserving pan with all the other ingredients - reserve 1fl oz of the pinot noir.  Bring to the boil, then boil hard until the setting point.  When the Jam sets on a cool plate you know that it is ready.  Add the remaining wine and put into sterilised jam jars.

My brother popped up about 3ish for a cup of tea.  My sister was going to come to but decided not to as her little boy has got a tummy bug.  I have got everything crossed that we don't catch it too.

Mimi & Uncle J
Then I cooked Mimi's tea which was really yummy and I almost wished we had the same.

Double baked jacket potatoes.  I think they are an adaptation of a recipe I once got from Nigella.

Pre-heat the potato in the microwave for about 2-3 min.  Then pop it in a pre-heated oven at about 200c and bake for about 20mins.
Cut the potato in half and wait for it to cool slightly before scooping out the insides into a bowl. Put the  skins to one side.  Don't throw them away as you will need them again in a bit.  
Cook 1 rasher of bacon.  When cooked remove the fat and chop into small bits.  
Add the bacon 1 tbsp of sour cream some chives and a handful of grated cheese to the potato.  Mix it well together and then spoon the mixture back into the potato skin.  Sprinkle a bit more cheese on the top of the potato mixture and place it back in the oven for about 15 mins.

These are a hit and she always asks for more.

Mimi's Tea.










No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...